Today’s recipe post in my Student Cookbook series is courtesy of my lovely housemate Tara! This recipe can feed about four, so you can either make it with friends, or simply increase or decrease the ingredients as you need.
You will need:
- 1-2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2-3 carrots
- bacon lardons
- one tin of chopped tomatoes
- tomato puree
- Chop the onion and garlic. Peel and grate the carrots.
- In a large pan (we used a casserole dish but a large saucepan with a lid would work fine) fry the bacon lardons in a bit of oil until cooked on the outside
- Stir in the onion, garlic and carrots. Cover the pan and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the veg softens.
- Put the pasta on to boil
- Add the chopped tomatoes and a good squirt of tomato puree to the veg and bacon mix. Add seasoning and herbs – we used pepper, basil, thyme and oregano.
- Cover the pan and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and mix it in with the bacon and veg
- Serve up! We used a sprinkling of cheese to finish it off.